Quaker Resources: Quaker History
Resources on Quaker History
Print resources available from the FGC Quaker bookstore, quakerbooks.org.
Note: This category is too large to include everything. We have listed some basic resources below. See also the sections on Quaker history at quakerbooks.org, using the following links:
- History section of NYYM's book of Faith and Practice
- Quaker History: Getting Started
- History in Depth
- History of Quakers in North America
- Quakers around the World
Here is a list of good general histories of Quakerism and other essential reading in the field:
- Portrait in Grey: A Short History of the Quakers, John Punshon; $25.
- Friends for 350 Years, Howard Brinton, historical update by Margaret Hope Bacon; $16.
- The People Called Quakers, Elton Trueblood; $17.
- The Beginnings of Quakerism, William Braithewaite.
- The Second Period of Quakerism, William Braithwaite; $28.
- The Later Periods of Quakerism, Rufus Jones.
- Albion’s Seed: Four British Folkways in America, David Hackett Fischer; $34.95.
- Meeting House and Counting House: The Quaker Merchants of Colonial Philadelphia 1682-1763, Frederick Tolles; $24.
- The Quakers in America, Thomas Hamm; $29.
- The Transformation of American Quakerism: Orthodox Friends, 1800–1907, Thomas Hamm.
- Quakers In Conflict: The Hicksite Reformation, Larry Ingle; $10.
- Quaker Crosscurrents: Three Hundred Years of Friends in the New York Yearly Meetings, Hugh Barbour, et al, eds.